How are health savings accounts (HSA) valuable to consumers?

Health savings accounts (HSA) are valuable to consumers for many different reasons. HSAs are tax-exempt accounts that allow you to save money to cover your medical expenses now and in the future. According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), an HSA account offers the following tax advantages.
  • You can claim a tax deduction for contributions you or someone else (other than your employer) make to your HSA even if you do not itemize your deductions on your annual tax forms.
  • Contributions to your HSA made by your employer (including contributions made through a cafeteria plan) may be excluded from your gross income.
  • The money remains in your HSA until you use it. There is no "use it or lose it" provision with HSA accounts as there are with other types of medical expenses accounts.
  • The interest or other earnings on the money in the account are tax-free. 
  • You do not have to pay taxes on the money when you use it for qualified medical expenses.
  • Your HSA account is portable; it stays with you if you change employers or leave the workforce.
HSAs can also provide one strategic method for saving for retirement.  After age 65 the money in your HSA can be withdrawn and used for purposes other than covering your medical expenses at no penalty, although those withdrawals may be subject to income tax. 

Continue Learning about Health Savings Plans

How do I deposit money into the health savings account (HSA)?
Deposits into a health savings account (HSA) usually can be made in one or more ways, depending on y...
Can I use my own money to help lower my healthcare costs?
You can use your own money to lower your healthcare costs by paying for your healthcare expenses usi...
What are consumer-directed health plans?
A consumer-directed health plan (CDHP) is designed to raise awareness of healthcare costs and put mo...
What are the tax benefits of a health savings account (HSA)?
There are several tax benefits of a health savings account (HSA), an account or trust you set up wit...