Why is estrogen important during pregnancy?

Extra estrogen is critical to you and your developing baby. It stimulates the growth of the uterus, enlarges your milk ducts, and makes the cells that line your vessels secrete nitric oxide, which opens them up. This ensures that blood can run freely to and from your placenta, bringing in nutrients, ferrying out waste, and creating the perfect little darling who will soon be trying to eat Tupperware.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Expecting? Improve Sleep for Your Health and Baby’s, Too
Perhaps no worker is more notoriously sleep deprived than a hospital staff resident. In one scene in Grey’s Anatomy, Meredith confesses “I fell asleep...
If I'm pregnant, how can I protect my unborn baby from an infection?
The best way to keep an unborn baby safe from infections is for a pregnant woman to wash her hands o...
How can obesity affect pregnancy?
Dr. Ashley B. Briggs, MDDr. Ashley B. Briggs, MD
Obesity creates surprising problems at every point during pregnancy—from conception to delivery. In ...
Why Is It Dangerous to Gain Too Much Weight Early In Pregnancy?