Which side should I sleep on if I'm pregnant?

Lie on your side. We know you're not going to lie on your stomach as your belly grows and you enter the second trimester, but we do want you to avoid lying flat on your back. That's because when you do so, the weight of your uterus compresses the blood vessels that are feeding the placenta, creating a drought in the blood lake. Lying on your left side is better than lying on your right side because it allows more blood to flow to the uterus. Either side is better than lying on your back, because when you do, you also compress a large vein called the vena cava. The pressure (from that compression) reduces the flow of blood back to your heart, as if you were bending a water hose, and that decreases the blood flow to your uterus and to your baby.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Expecting? Improve Sleep for Your Health and Baby’s, Too
Perhaps no worker is more notoriously sleep deprived than a hospital staff resident. In one scene in Grey’s Anatomy, Meredith confesses “I fell asleep...
Why is it important to take care of my mouth during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
It is particularly important that you take care of your teeth and gums while you are pregnant. W...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
How a Cryptic Pregnancy Can Occur
How a Cryptic Pregnancy Can Occur