Which side should I sleep on if I'm pregnant?

Lie on your side. We know you're not going to lie on your stomach as your belly grows and you enter the second trimester, but we do want you to avoid lying flat on your back. That's because when you do so, the weight of your uterus compresses the blood vessels that are feeding the placenta, creating a drought in the blood lake. Lying on your left side is better than lying on your right side because it allows more blood to flow to the uterus. Either side is better than lying on your back, because when you do, you also compress a large vein called the vena cava. The pressure (from that compression) reduces the flow of blood back to your heart, as if you were bending a water hose, and that decreases the blood flow to your uterus and to your baby.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

How Moms-to-be Can Limit Exposure to Harmful Chemicals
Researchers from Mount Sinai Hospital in New York and Karlstad University in Sweden found prenatal exposure in the first trimester to phthalates, a ch...
Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children
What Is Cryptic Pregnancy?
What Is Cryptic Pregnancy?