What emotional changes should I expect during and after pregnancy?

Richard W. Ott, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
There are a lot of emotional changes during and after pregnancy, and even leading up to pregnancy. I like to tell my patients that the main hormones of pregnancy -- estrogen and progesterone -- affect you throughout your body, getting it ready for pregnancy. It affects bones, bowel, heart, breast, but it also affects the brain. I tell my patients that dad's going to love a baby, moms bond with the baby. Those hormones are meant to increase emotional attachment. The question is, Do they create emotions or do they make you feel emotions, that are there, more intensely? I personally think they make you feel emotions that are already there more intensely, depending on what's going on in your life, what's going on in relationships in your life, what's going on at work, those kinds of things. You can expect a lot more emotional liability, ups and downs, because of what the emotions do, based upon what the hormones do during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Health & Pregnancy

One common myth is that when you are pregnant, you should be eating for two people. The truth is that you should be eating a healthy amount of fruit, vegetables, and meat high is omega-3s. If you up your caloric intake by 300 a da...

y, you will be eating plenty of food for both you and your baby. Along with taking prenatal vitamins, you should also continue you exercise and remain active during your pregnancy. Consult with your doctor for pregnancy approved exercising.