Why should a doctor screen me for STDs during pregnancy?

Pregnant women who are infected with sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can suffer miscarriages or pass those infections on to their child during pregnancy or childbirth. Infants can suffer from resulting infections of the joints, eyes and blood. Most of these STDs , such as gonorrhea, syphilis and chlamydia, can be treated during pregnancy, which reduces risk to the infant. Others STDs, such as herpes and HIV/AIDS, can be detected, and measures can be taken to help prevent the infant from becoming infected. Early initial detection and retesting pregnant mothers when new infections are suspected are key to stopping the spread and side effects of STDs in pregnant women.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Why Oral Hygiene is So Important During Pregnancy
Women who are pregnant or trying to conceive are typically inundated with appointments and a range of health concerns. As a consequence, making regula...
Is it safe to wear a car seat belt during pregnancy?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
Safety during pregnancy is important. As a woman, you form the perfect protector for that baby a...
Why should I be careful when lifting things if I am pregnant?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
If you are pregnant and you bend down to pick something up, ideally your pelvis should flex forw...
When Is a Pregnancy Considered High Risk?