Is it safe to travel by airplane during pregnancy?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
You can fly while pregnant, but there are certain precautions you should take before traveling by air. If at all possible, limit your air travel to the middle of your pregnancy, between weeks 14 and 28. Also, limit the number of hours of flight time per day to about six, stay hydrated, and periodically move around and stretch your legs to improve circulation. After 34 weeks, most doctors suggest avoiding air travel because of the risk of giving birth without medical attention available.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

How can I prevent risk of toxic exposure during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are pregnant, avoiding possible hazards becomes more urgent. Some toxins affect the embryo du...
What medical tests are common during pregnancy?
During a normal pregnancy, your doctor will test your blood for antibodies against certain diseases ...
Is it safe to use medicine while I am trying to become pregnant?
It is hard to know exactly when you will get pregnant. Once you do get pregnant, you may not know yo...
How can I protect my unborn baby from cell phone radiation?
You may be worried because you heard about a study of mice who were endlessly exposed to cell ph...