What position is best for sex if I am pregnant and have back pain?

Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Many women find that back pain, most common in the late second and third trimesters, makes it difficult to find a good position for sex and interferes with pleasure. Have your partner give you a soothing back massage before sex using lots of warm mas­sage oil. Once you feel relaxed and comfortable, continue the massage to the vulva and vagina. The best position for back pain is spooning, with the man and woman lying on their sides, the man facing her back.

The Good in Bed Guide to Sex and the Baby Years

Available at a substantial discount for a limited time only, thanks to support from K-Y(R) Brand!Once you get down to the business of baby-making, the advice will pour in: books, magazines, in-laws,...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Beauty Products May Harm Baby’s Development
Serena Williams signed a five-year endorsement deal with Nike. American Ballet Theater prima ballerina Misty Copeland landed an Under Armour deal (we’...
Are vitamins safe for me while I am pregnant?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Regular multivitamins and prenatal vitamins are safe to take during pregnancy and can be helpful. Wo...
How can I reduce my risk for gestational diabetes?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
There are ways you can reduce your risk for gestational diabetes. Some are: Maintain a healthy w...
How can I prevent risk of toxic exposure during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are pregnant, avoiding possible hazards becomes more urgent. Some toxins affect the embryo du...