How can I help ease the job-related anxiety during pregnancy?

If you're worried about how to deal with your job, it's best to have the talk with your boss sooner rather than later. When you're ready, tell your employer about your prenatal visits (many women tell only one friend until after the first trimester is completed), but also ask how you can help manage the burden that will come when you're on maternity leave. Because it won't be easy for your co-workers, who may have to cover for you while you're away, it can help ease the burden by lining up options a few months in advance.

This kind of planning helps ease their worry - and, in turn, makes it easier for you. And be up front: If you think you can financially handle a three-day week instead of five, just ask. Most bosses would rather have frank discussions in advance than have you ignore the issue - and try to make up ground later. Plus, it's not a bad idea to chat with HR just to go over family leave policies and options.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

The Dangers of Vaping While Pregnant
The Dangers of Vaping While Pregnant
In the 1936 film My Man Godfrey, Godfrey the butler (William Powell) must deal with the lady-of-the-house (Carol Lombard) who’s often afflicted with a...
What precautions can I take while using herbal treatment during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Many women think that because herbs are "natural," they are always safe. This is not true. Herbs can...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
Is It Possible to Be Pregnant and Not Know Until Delivery?