How can I help ease the job-related anxiety during pregnancy?

If you're worried about how to deal with your job, it's best to have the talk with your boss sooner rather than later. When you're ready, tell your employer about your prenatal visits (many women tell only one friend until after the first trimester is completed), but also ask how you can help manage the burden that will come when you're on maternity leave. Because it won't be easy for your co-workers, who may have to cover for you while you're away, it can help ease the burden by lining up options a few months in advance.

This kind of planning helps ease their worry - and, in turn, makes it easier for you. And be up front: If you think you can financially handle a three-day week instead of five, just ask. Most bosses would rather have frank discussions in advance than have you ignore the issue - and try to make up ground later. Plus, it's not a bad idea to chat with HR just to go over family leave policies and options.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

How Healthy Moms Lead to Healthy Adults
How Healthy Moms Lead to Healthy Adults
The spotted hyena gives birth to cubs that are born with a full set of where’s-my-dinner teeth. That’s in sharp contrast to human babies who remain de...
Are there different types of pregnancy tests?
Yes. There are two types of pregnancy tests. One tests the blood for the pregnancy hormone, hCG. You...
What kinds of support systems do pregnant women need?
Tessie M. Larrieu, MDTessie M. Larrieu, MD
During pregnancy, you need a good support system, says Tessie Larrieu, MD, in obstetrics & gynecolog...
How will pregnancy affect my bones?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
To grow strong bones, a baby needs a lot of calcium. The baby gets his or her calcium from what you ...