If my baby doesn't kick for a long time, should I call the doctor?

If you are worried about your baby, you should always ask your doctor for advice. But there are certain situations when you should call your doctor right away. Don’t wait until the next day to call:
  • If you notice a drastic change in the amount of kicks or type of movements your baby is making.
  • If your baby kicks less and less as the day goes on, or you don’t feel any kicks on any given day.
  • If you don’t feel 10 kicks within two hours when your baby is usually active, recount within one to two hours. If you get the same results (less than 10 kicks), call your doctor immediately.
  • If you have been evaluated for decreased fetal movement and sent home, make sure you follow up as instructed or within one week.
If you have any of these problems, your doctor should have you go to the office or hospital right away. There are tests that can be done to be sure your baby is okay.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

why is it important to take care of my mouth during pregnancy ?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
It is particularly important that you take care of your teeth and gums while you are pregnant. W...
is having sex during pregnancy safe ?
In most cases, sexual intercourse is safe during a normal pregnancy. Sexual intercourse is not a cau...
are adhd stimulant medications safe to use during pregnancy ?
Women of childbearing age are diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and...
what should i know before taking a laxative during pregnancy ?
Do not use castor oil during pregnancy. Castor oil can cause premature labor. Mineral oil can inter...