If my baby doesn't kick for a long time, should I call the doctor?

If you are worried about your baby, you should always ask your doctor for advice. But there are certain situations when you should call your doctor right away. Don’t wait until the next day to call:
  • If you notice a drastic change in the amount of kicks or type of movements your baby is making.
  • If your baby kicks less and less as the day goes on, or you don’t feel any kicks on any given day.
  • If you don’t feel 10 kicks within two hours when your baby is usually active, recount within one to two hours. If you get the same results (less than 10 kicks), call your doctor immediately.
  • If you have been evaluated for decreased fetal movement and sent home, make sure you follow up as instructed or within one week.
If you have any of these problems, your doctor should have you go to the office or hospital right away. There are tests that can be done to be sure your baby is okay.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Get to Your Fighting Weight During Pregnancy
Laila Ali, Muhammad Ali’s daughter and undefeated women’s boxing champion (24-0), fought as a super-middleweight (160-168 pounds) and light-heavyweigh...
What should I avoid if I am trying to get pregnant?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
If you are trying to get pregnant you should avoid smoking, alcohol and illicit drugs. You should re...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
How Do the Symptoms of Cryptic Pregnancy Differ from a Normal Pregnancy?