How can obesity affect pregnancy?

A woman who is obese (a body mass index of 30 or higher) before pregnancy is at a higher risk for complications during pregnancy. Obesity in the woman also increases the risk of several serious birth defects for the baby. If you are overweight or obese, talk with your doctor about ways to reach a healthy weight before you get pregnant.

If you're obese during pregnancy you have a greater risk of having a stillborn, premature or overly large baby, or a baby with neural tube defects. Your baby also has a higher risk of being obese in childhood. Thus, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that obese women planning to conceive get a preconception consultation, weight-loss counseling and continuing nutritional counseling and exercise programs after delivery.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

5 Things You Definitely Shouldn’t Do When You’re Pregnant
When you’re expecting a baby, everyone’s an expert, from the elderly lady at the grocery store who scolds you for wearing yoga pants to the Facebook f...
What precautions can I take while using herbal treatment during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Many women think that because herbs are "natural," they are always safe. This is not true. Herbs can...
Can I Take Probiotics If I Am Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
Prenatal Workout: Arms and Legs
Prenatal Workout: Arms and Legs