How does pregnancy affect emotions?

In addition to the physical changes of pregnancy, you may also feel as if you're on an emotional roller coaster. During the first three months of pregnancy, you're still adjusting to the idea of being pregnant and the prospect of becoming a mother (if it's your first time) or adding another child to your family.

The middle part of your pregnancy may be more relaxing and calmer as you ease into the routine of pregnancy and begin bonding with the baby.

During the last phase of your pregnancy, however, you may find yourself feeling more anxious, fearing any complications during labor and delivery. Many women experience nightmares or other disturbing dreams about their pregnancy, labor and birth. Dreams are a way of expressing our anxieties.

Discussing your feelings with your partner and healthcare professional could help allay some of your anxieties and make you feel more positive about the whole experience.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

How Healthy Moms Lead to Healthy Adults
How Healthy Moms Lead to Healthy Adults
The spotted hyena gives birth to cubs that are born with a full set of where’s-my-dinner teeth. That’s in sharp contrast to human babies who remain de...
What are the risks to my baby if I use illegal drugs when pregnant?
A woman who uses illegal—or “street”—drugs during pregnancy can have a baby who is born premature; h...
Does pregnancy affect the senses of taste and smell?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Several studies in which women self-reported on the effect their pregnancy had on their sensory perc...
Is Hypothroidism Dangerous During Pregnancy?