How does pregnancy affect emotions?

In addition to the physical changes of pregnancy, you may also feel as if you're on an emotional roller coaster. During the first three months of pregnancy, you're still adjusting to the idea of being pregnant and the prospect of becoming a mother (if it's your first time) or adding another child to your family.

The middle part of your pregnancy may be more relaxing and calmer as you ease into the routine of pregnancy and begin bonding with the baby.

During the last phase of your pregnancy, however, you may find yourself feeling more anxious, fearing any complications during labor and delivery. Many women experience nightmares or other disturbing dreams about their pregnancy, labor and birth. Dreams are a way of expressing our anxieties.

Discussing your feelings with your partner and healthcare professional could help allay some of your anxieties and make you feel more positive about the whole experience.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Pregnancy Strains the Heart—Here’s How to Protect Yours
Each day your heart beats about 100,000 times and pumps roughly 2,000 gallons of blood throughout your body. During pregnancy, it works harder to pump...
Should I take antibiotics for group B strep before labor?
Your baby will not be protected if you take antibiotics for group B strep (GBS) before labor. The ba...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
Can I Take Probiotics If I Am Pregnant or Breastfeeding?