How is group B strep infection treated during pregnancy?

Group B strep infection, which is a growth of streptococcal bacteria in the vagina, is usually treated with intravenous antibiotics when the mother is in labor in the hospital. There are several antibiotics approved for this purpose. Group B strep is treated in order to decrease the risk of infections in the newborn, which can include infection of the blood, pneumonia and meningitis. Testing for group B strep is usually done by collecting a specimen with a sterile swab from the mother's vagina and rectum between weeks 35 and 37 of pregnancy. About 25% of pregnant women carry the bacteria.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Can My Stress Affect My Unborn Baby?
Can My Stress Affect My Unborn Baby?
How Do the Symptoms of Cryptic Pregnancy Differ from a Normal Pregnancy?
Prenatal Workout: Arms and Legs
Prenatal Workout: Arms and Legs
How Can I Have a Healthy Pregnancy?
How Can I Have a Healthy Pregnancy?