Is it common to feel overwhelmed during pregnancy?

Every stress during pregnancy feels like a big one, as your brain swirls and twirls and somersaults with more questions than a prosecuting attorney. This probably sounds a bit familiar to that voice in your head: Is my baby healthy? How hard is labor going to be? Can I afford child care? Will my mate look elsewhere now that I've lost my figure and I'm not as interested in sex? Does he really want to name the child after his favorite football player? Why are my parents hounding me to be in the delivery room? How are the siblings going to handle another child? Will I be like - gasp! - my mother?

These are tough questions, but one thing there's no question about: Everyone has anxiety during pregnancy, especially during their first one. That's, of course, because there's a fear of the unknown the first time around (but also because there's no time to be worried when you have other tykes to chase after). Moms explode with tension when presented with so many questions - and so many possible answers.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Getting Ready for a New Baby—Safely
Getting Ready for a New Baby—Safely
In the film Away We Go, a young couple played by Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski are expecting their first child. When they learn his parents (their o...
What should I avoid if I am trying to get pregnant?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
If you are trying to get pregnant you should avoid smoking, alcohol and illicit drugs. You should re...
Are evening primrose oil supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Not unless you want to induce labor. Evening primrose oil can help soften the cervix and cause contr...
What healthy lifestyle changes should I make during pregnancy?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
When living in accordance with Ayurvedic traditions, expecting mothers are recommended to eat wholes...