Can I have a healthy pregnancy if I am being treated for bipolar disorder?

In general, pregnancy, labor and delivery increase the symptoms of bipolar disorder. You are at a higher risk of recurrent episodes and more likely to require hospitalization, and may require changes in medications. But with careful planning, using an ob doc who has a special expertise in this field, and a close watch on your symptoms, you can manage pregnancy as adeptly as a pilot flying through turbulence. Talk to your psychiatrist and OBGYN about the risks before you get pregnant, if possible. Discuss how the pregnancy will affect your mood swings and how your treatment may impact your unborn baby.

In terms of your treatment, for the period of time around your pregnancy, you may need to adjust or change your medications since many of the medications that are used to treat bipolar disorder could harm your baby. Depakote and Tegretol, for instance, may cause birth defects. However, lithium and mood stabilizers such as Haldol and Thorazine pose little risk to your baby. Also, talk to your doctor before pregnancy about other options.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Can I take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding?
Whether you can take allergy medications during pregnancy and breast-feeding is between you and your...
How does preeclampsia affect women during pregnancy?
Pre-eclampsia is a complication of pregnancy characterized by elevated blood pressure, proteinuria a...
Is it safe to use medicine while I am trying to become pregnant?
It is hard to know exactly when you will get pregnant. Once you do get pregnant, you may not know yo...
Can I Take Probiotics If I Am Pregnant or Breastfeeding?