Are vitamins safe for me while I am pregnant?

Regular multivitamins and prenatal vitamins are safe to take during pregnancy and can be helpful. Women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant should take a daily multivitamin or prenatal vitamin that contains at least 400 micrograms (µg) of folic acid. It is best to start taking these vitamins before you become pregnant or if you could become pregnant. Folic acid reduces the chance of a baby having a neural tube defect, like spina bifida, where the spine or brain does not form the right way. Iron can help prevent a low blood count (anemia). It's important to take the vitamin dose prescribed by your doctor. Too many vitamins can harm your baby. For example, very high levels of vitamin A have been linked with severe birth defects.
This answer is based on source information from The U.S Department of Human Services Office on Womens Health.  

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

The Dangers of Vaping While Pregnant
The Dangers of Vaping While Pregnant
In the 1936 film My Man Godfrey, Godfrey the butler (William Powell) must deal with the lady-of-the-house (Carol Lombard) who’s often afflicted with a...
Is hypothroidism dangerous during pregnancy?
Maria F. Daly, DOMaria F. Daly, DO
When a pregnant woman has a diagnosis of Hypothyroidism it is important that she take her thyroid ho...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
How Can I Have a Healthy Pregnancy?
How Can I Have a Healthy Pregnancy?