Are vitamins safe for me while I am pregnant?

Regular multivitamins and prenatal vitamins are safe to take during pregnancy and can be helpful. Women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant should take a daily multivitamin or prenatal vitamin that contains at least 400 micrograms (µg) of folic acid. It is best to start taking these vitamins before you become pregnant or if you could become pregnant. Folic acid reduces the chance of a baby having a neural tube defect, like spina bifida, where the spine or brain does not form the right way. Iron can help prevent a low blood count (anemia). It's important to take the vitamin dose prescribed by your doctor. Too many vitamins can harm your baby. For example, very high levels of vitamin A have been linked with severe birth defects.
This answer is based on source information from The U.S Department of Human Services Office on Womens Health.  

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

How do I know if I took DES during pregnancy?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
It has been estimated that 5 to 10 million people were exposed to DES during pregnancy. Many of thes...
Why should I be careful when lifting things if I am pregnant?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
If you are pregnant and you bend down to pick something up, ideally your pelvis should flex forw...
Is it safe to get vaccinations when I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
You should be tested to make sure you have antibodies against rubella (German measles) and varicella...
Is Hypothroidism Dangerous During Pregnancy?