Will I pay more for out-of-network services?

Out-of-network services will likely cost you more  than services provided by doctors or other health care providers or facilities that are within your insurance plan's network. When health care professionals contract with an insurance company to become part of their network of providers, they usually agree to provide services to people covered under that network's plan at a lower rate than they would charge for services provided to people who were not covered under a plan that included that network. Out-of-network health care providers, who are not bound by such a contract, may charge higher fees, and those higher costs can be passed down to you as the patient. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How can I get health insurance benefits if I am unemployed?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If it has been longer than 63 days since losing health insurance coverage, you may be eligible for a...
Do over-the-counter medicines count as out-of-pocket expenses?
The answer is no – and yes. Out-of-pocket expenses are medical costs that are not covered by your in...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?
How Does an Insurance Company Feel About the Affordable Care Act?