Will my insurance cover the expenses of a mastectomy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Each insurance policy is different and you must look at the details of your policy to determine what breast cancer coverage you have. If your policy covers a mastectomy, it must also cover the costs related to reconstructive surgery. According to WHCRA, the Women"s Health & Cancer Rights Act of 1998, insurance companies, HMOs, and group health plans must cover services related to a mastectomy if they cover mastectomies. These costs may include producing a symmetrical appearance with the other breast and any related complications.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is life insurance?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Life insurance pays benefits upon a person's death. Some policies also act as collateral that the in...
What should I know about my health insurance before going to the ER?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Once an emergency brings you to the ER, the details of your insurance coverage will be secondary...
Who controls the funds in a health reimbursement account (HRA)?
Your employer controls the funds in your health reimbursement account (HRA) in a number of ways. ...
How do I check that my insurance covers breast cancer surgery expenses?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Prior to admittance, you need to check with both the hospital and your health-insurance carrier to d...