Will my insurance cover the expenses of a mastectomy?

Most likely, yes. In addition, the Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act (WHCRA) of 1998 says the plan must also cover reconstructive surgery and the costs of any complications that arise from the mastectomy, such as lymphedema. Consult the fine print of your plan or contact your insurer directly to know for sure.

Each insurance policy is different and you must look at the details of your policy to determine what breast cancer coverage you have. If your policy covers a mastectomy, it must also cover the costs related to reconstructive surgery. According to WHCRA, the Women"s Health & Cancer Rights Act of 1998, insurance companies, HMOs, and group health plans must cover services related to a mastectomy if they cover mastectomies. These costs may include producing a symmetrical appearance with the other breast and any related complications.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
What should I know about my health insurance before going to the ER?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Once an emergency brings you to the ER, the details of your insurance coverage will be secondary...
What do I do if my health insurance claim for cancer treatment is denied?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If an insurance claim that has been submitted to the insurer to cover medical expenses is denied, co...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?