Will my health insurance cover the cost of assistive devices if I have MS?

Coverage for assistive devices varies depending on your insurance coverage. Your therapist or physician will first need to verify that there is a medical need for the item. Mobility devices (walkers, canes, wheelchairs, and some scooters), hospital beds, and bedside commodes are often covered with a physician's prescription but may require a co-payment. If you do not have insurance or your insurance does not cover the equipment you need, there are organizations that may provide the item at no cost or provide financial assistance.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Will I be told if unauthorized people see my health information?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
The HIPAA Breach Notification Rule requires most doctors, hospitals, other health care providers and...
Do I pay the co-pay at the time of services?
Co-pays are fixed fees that are usually due before or immediately after you receive a medical servic...
What long-term needs should I consider when reviewing my life insurance?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
When reviewing your long-term life insurance coverage needs, you should consider: How many peopl...
What are out-of-network services?
Out-of-network services are medical services that are provided by health care professionals and/or h...