Will my occupation influence my health insurance eligibility?

Word on the street is that Jackie Chan can’t get insurance since he does all the stunts himself in his movies. So, yes, your occupation may influence your healthcare eligibility (and the costs!). This is especially true if you purchase individual insurance, or if you work for a small company that provides health insurance. These health insurance policies may be “experience-rated,” meaning the premiums are based on the average cost of ensuring that group, so don’t be surprised if your costs are as high as a skyscraper (if you are even determined to be eligible for coverage) if you work in a dangerous profession.

An insurance provider considers many factors when determining an applicant"s eligibility for health insurance. One of the factors may include your occupation because some jobs carry an inherent risk of injury or illness, like firefighters or coal miners. Although coverage cannot be denied based on occupation, your job could affect the premiums you pay and the coverage you are allowed.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Take Advantage of Your ACA Preventive Care Benefits
We’ve quoted Ben Franklin before, but his words are still as true as ever: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And taking advantage of ...
How do I use vision care insurance for eye exams?
To use your vision-care insurance for eye exams, you first have to find an eye-care professional nea...
What happens to my health savings account (HSA) if I switch jobs?
You are the owner of your HSA, which means you can take it with you when you leave your current job....
Who Are the Key Players in Healthy Living?