Q

Health Insurance

Who can apply for health insurance for my child?

• A answered
    A parent, grandparent, legal guardian or other authorized representative can provide health insurance to a child, either by adding them as a dependent (if they qualify) to their own health coverage plan, or by applying for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) coverage on behalf of a child. Most employers offer health insurance as part of worker benefits, and employees are usually able to choose a family plan that provides health benefits to children. Others may purchase their own policies and include family coverage. For families with low or no work income, free health coverage is available for their children and teens. Other families may be required to pay a modest enrollment fee or premiums, and copayments for specific services. The rest of the coverage is paid for by the federal government and your state. You can apply online, by phone, by mail or in person. For more information and help call 1-877-KIDS-NOW(1-877-543-7669), a free and confidential hotline, to be connected directly to your state's program.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What are my options to get health insurance for my children?