What is Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

SSI is short for Supplemental Security Income. It pays monthly cash benefits to people who are age 65 or older, those who are blind, or those who have a disability and who do not own much or have a lot of income. SSI is not just for adults. Monthly benefits can go to disabled and blind children, too.

The amount of cash benefits you can receive depends on the state in which you live. The basic SSI amount is the same nationwide. However, many states add money to the basic benefit.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
Will I pay more for out-of-network services?
Out-of-network services will likely cost you more  than services provided by doctors or other health...
How secure are my online personal health records?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
Some websites offer a place to store your health records online. These are often called "personal he...
In What Ways Do You Think the American Healthcare System is Broken?