What are the different payments I will make with a health insurance plan?

Typically there are several different kinds of payments required by a health insurance plan. These payments can vary, depending on the type of plan you have and your plan provider. Read your plan documents carefully to make sure you understand your coverage costs. Most health insurance plans require some or all of the following types of payments.
  1. Your premium, the initial cost of buying your insurance, paid in one lump sum or in installments (often monthly installments) throughout the year.
  2. Your deductible, the amount of money you agree to pay for medical expenses before your insurance “kicks in” and begins covering those costs. For example, if your plan carries a $2,000 deductible, you are responsible for the first $2,000 of your medical expenses in your plan year; once you have paid that $2,000, your insurance will cover the remaining eligible expenses for that year.
  3. Your coinsurance. Some insurance plans include a cost-sharing agreement that requires you to pay some of the costs of your medical services once you have met your deductible. For example, in some plans, after you have paid your annual deductible, your medical plan will cover 80 percent of costs and you will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
  4. Your copayment, the flat fee you pay each time you seek certain medical services. The fee may differ depending on the type of service you are seeking. For example, your plan might require a copayment of $20 for an office visit to your primary care doctor, $50 for a visit to a specialist and $100 for an emergency room visit. 
Insurance plans typically carry an out-of-pocket maximum or limit, which is the most you would have to pay for your medical expenses in a plan year. After that point, your insurance would cover 100 percent of your medical expenses. Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), the maximum out-of-pocket limit for any individual Marketplace plan for 2016 is $6,850 for an individual plan and $13,700 for a family plan.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
How do I qualify for a Health Savings Account (HSA)?
To open a health savings account (HSA), you must meet the following requirements, according to the I...
How can I find a surgeon who participates in my insurance?
Dr. John J. ConnollyDr. John J. Connolly
Most health plans have printed directories and/or web sites that list providers who participate in t...
What Do You Think About Fee for Service Healthcare?