What are out-of-pocket expenses?

Out-of-pocket expenses are the costs of your health care you have to pay yourself. Your insurance doesn’t cover out-of-pocket expenses.  These costs typically include the following four categories of expenses.
  1. Your premium, the initial cost of buying your insurance, paid in one lump sum or in installments throughout the year.
  2. Your deductible, the amount of money you agree to pay for medical expenses before your insurance “kicks in” and begins covering those costs. For example, if your plan carries a $2,000 deductible, you are responsible for the first $2,000 of your medical expenses in your plan year; once you have paid that $2,000, your insurance will cover the remaining eligible expenses for that year.
  3. Your coinsurance. Some insurance plans include a cost-sharing agreement that requires you to pay some of the costs of your medical services once you have met your deductible. For example, in some plans, after you have paid your annual deductible, your medical plan will cover 80 percent of costs and you will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
  4. Your copayment, the flat fee you pay each time you seek certain medical services. The fee may differ depending on the type of service you are seeking. For example, your plan might require a copayment of $20 for an office visit to your primary care doctor, $50 for a visit to a specialist, and $100 for an emergency room visit.
Insurance plans typically carry an out-of-pocket maximum or limit, which is the most you would have to pay for your medical expenses in a plan year. After that point, your insurance would cover 100 percent of your medical expenses. Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the maximum out-of-pocket limit for any individual Marketplace plan for 2016 is $6,850 for an individual plan and $13,700 for a family plan.

Another category of out-of-pocket expense is treatments not covered by your medical plan. This can include vision or dental care, for example. Over-the-counter drugs are also usually not covered. Some of these and other out-of-pocket expenses may be deductible from your income tax, unless they are elective (tooth whitening or wrinkle treatments, for example). Note that because these are uninsured expenses they also don't count toward your out-of-pocket maximum. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How do I check that my insurance covers breast cancer surgery expenses?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Prior to admittance, you need to check with both the hospital and your health-insurance carrier to d...
What are the different types of public health insurance?
There are two main types of public insurance: Medicare and Medicaid. Medicaid is a state-run progra...
What is an annuity?
Ric EdelmanRic Edelman
The term annuity simply refers to a stream of income. Pensions and Social Security benefits, for exa...
Can I revoke my authorization to share my health information?
Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) rules, you have the right to r...