What are out-of-network services?

Out-of-network services are medical services that are provided by health care professionals and/or health care facilities that are not part of your insurance company's network of providers. The network includes those healthcare providers who have contracted with the insurance company to provide services to its members. Typically costs are lower and you can save money by seeing health care providers who are part of your plan's network. Some medical plans do not cover out-of-network services at all. Consult your own plan documents to understand your coverage before seeking services out of your plan's network. 

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
Who pays for my travel expenses if I am a living organ donor?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
The donor's medical expenses, including the costs of evaluation and hospitalization, are covered by ...
What is a flexible spending account (FSA)?
A flexible spending account (FSA), also called a flexible spending arrangement, is an account set up...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?