What is an urgent claim?

Urgent care claims are filed by doctors to require an insurance company to review a claim more quickly than the normal time permitted, because the patient's life could be in danger if the claim isn't decided quickly.

Here are some important points about urgent care claims.
  • Urgent claims must be reviewed as soon as possible, taking into account the medical needs of the patient, but not later than 72 hours after the plan receives the request.
  • If the plan needs more information to decide the claim, they must request the information within 24 hours; you will have no less than 48 hours to respond.
  • The plan must render a decision within 48 hours after the missing information is supplied or the time to supply it has elapsed. The plan cannot extend the time to make the initial decision without your consent.
  • The plan must give you notice that your claim has been granted or denied before the end of the time allotted for the decision. The plan can notify you orally of the benefit determination as long as a written notification is furnished to you no later than three days after the oral notification.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: US Uninsured Rate Climbs Above 12%
According to recent research by Gallup and Sharecare, the percentage of US adults without health insurance increased to 12.3 percent during the third ...
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
What is private health insurance?
Private health insurance is a health insurance plan often offered through employers and organization...
What is underwriting?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
Underwriting is the process by which an insurance carrier assesses you both medically and financiall...