What is co-insurance?

Some health insurance companies have co-insurance, which is a set percentage (usually around 20%, but no more than 50%) of medical costs that you must pay after you’ve reached your deductible, but before you’ve reached your out-of-pocket max. Your insurance will cover the rest of the bill for your medical costs until you reach your out-of-pocket max.

Each co-insurance policy is unique, as are the percentages. Percentages can even vary based on the type of service you receive. To find out about your specific policy’s rules on co-insurance, whip out a magnifying glass and read your Summary Plan Description (SPD). You can also call your insurer or benefits office directly…we hope you don’t have to stay on hold for too long.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
What is a flexible spending account (FSA)?
A flexible spending account (FSA), also called a flexible spending arrangement, is an account set up...
What do I do if my health insurance claim for cancer treatment is denied?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If an insurance claim that has been submitted to the insurer to cover medical expenses is denied, co...
How Do You Get Consumers to Engage in Their Health?