What is health information security?

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy and Security Rules establish Federal requirements for keeping your health information secure. The HIPAA Privacy Rule generally requires health care providers and health plans to safeguard your health information. This requirement applies to both paper and electronic records. The HIPAA Security Rule more specifically details the steps your health care providers and others must take to keep your electronic protected health information secure.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
When preparing for the future, many people automatically think about covering the basics, such as food and housing, and maybe travel plans or other pl...
Who can view my health information?
SharecareSharecare
Health care providers can see your health information as necessary to make sure you’re getting the r...
What are the different payments I will make with a health insurance plan?
Typically there are several different kinds of payments required by a health insurance plan. These p...
How Does an Insurance Company Feel About the Affordable Care Act?