What is disease-specific insurance?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Disease specific insurance is a supplemental insurance policy that only covers you if you are diagnosed with the particular disease that is outlined in the policy, such as cancer, Alzheimer's disease, or heart disease. Disease specific insurance is not the same as comprehensive or major medical coverage, so it is important to ensure that you understand exactly what is covered by the disease specific policy and whether or not you really need more than your comprehensive plan. Be careful to consider if you are at high risk for developing the disease because of genetic predisposition or professional hazards, if you can face the financial burden of a chronic or catastrophic illness, or if you are purchasing from emotion or fear.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What happens to my health savings account (HSA) if I switch jobs?
You are the owner of your HSA, which means you can take it with you when you leave your current job....
How do I select a primary care doctor?
Lone Peak HospitalLone Peak Hospital
When choosing a primary care doctor there are a few things you should consider. First, make sure tha...
Will choosing a doctor within my insurer's network save me money?
Choosing a doctor within your insurer's network usually will cost you less money than choosing a doc...
How does my doctor keep my electronic health records private?
SharecareSharecare
Your doctor designates a privacy official who is responsible for making sure your medical records ar...