What is a catastrophic health plan?

The catastrophic health plan is a high deductible health plan (HDHP) and a way of having immediate coverage for the “big stuff” -- like a sudden visit to the intensive care unit.

Generally, the catastrophic health plan allows you to have immediate coverage for hospitalization, surgery, ER or trauma care, ICU, and medical tests performed in the hospital without needing to cough up a lot of dough on a regular basis for monthly premiums. However, these plans only cover immediate (and sometimes very limited) care. Nothing else. You cover the full bill out-of-pocket for all other care (like a normal visit to your doc).

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
How do flexible spending accounts (FSA) work?
Flexible spending accounts (FSA), or flexible spending arrangements, can save you money while helpin...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?