What fees and costs are involved with health insurance plans?

There are four general types of fees and costs -- what are known as "out-of-pocket costs" -- involved with health insurance plans. These costs can vary depending on the type of plan you have and the specifications of that plan. These four types of costs include:
  1. Your premium, the initial cost of buying your insurance, paid in one lump sum or in installments (usually monthly) throughout the year.
  2. Your deductible, the amount of money you agree to pay for medical expenses before your insurance “kicks in” and begins covering those costs. For example, if your plan carries a $2,000 deductible, you are responsible for the first $2,000 of your medical expenses in your plan year; once you have paid that $2,000, your insurance will cover the remaining eligible expenses for that year.
  3. Your coinsurance. Some insurance plans include a cost-sharing agreement that requires you to pay some of the costs of your medical services once you have met your deductible. For example, in some plans, after you have paid your annual deductible, your medical plan will cover 80 percent of costs and you will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
  4. Your copayment, the flat fee you pay each time you seek certain medical services. The fee may differ depending on the type of service you are seeking. For example, your plan might require a copayment of $20 for an office visit to your primary care doctor, $50 for a visit to a specialist, and $100 for an emergency room visit. 
Insurance plans typically carry an out-of-pocket maximum or limit, which is the most you would have to pay for your medical expenses in a plan year. After that point, your insurance would cover 100 percent of your medical expenses. Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), the maximum out-of-pocket limit for any Health Insurance Marketplace plan for 2016 is $6,850 for an individual plan and $13,700 for a family plan.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is an annuity?
Ric EdelmanRic Edelman
The term annuity simply refers to a stream of income. Pensions and Social Security benefits, for exa...
Will I be told if unauthorized people see my health information?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
The HIPAA Breach Notification Rule requires most doctors, hospitals, other health care providers and...
Will choosing a doctor within my insurer's network save me money?
Choosing a doctor within your insurer's network usually will cost you less money than choosing a doc...
What is the difference between an insurance agent and insurance broker?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
These days there is very little difference between an insurance agent and an insurance broker. Techn...