What do I do if my health insurance is employer-based and I lose my job?

Take a deeeeeep breath and don’t fret. You can keep your health insurance for up to 18 months (sometimes longer) even if it is employer-based and you lose your job (as long as there wasn’t any serious misconduct that led to your termination). Thank COBRA for that. This is one snake that doesn’t bite -- except in your pocketbook. It’s a federal law that continues your healthcare coverage if it would have been terminated otherwise. Spouses and dependent children are also covered by this generous COBRA snake. There are some nitty gritty details with COBRA (and it can be quite pricey), so make sure you look into all your options (like getting coverage through your spouse?) and contact your previous employer’s benefits office to find out more about COBRA.

If you are losing your employer-based health insurance coverage you have several options. The first option to consider is purchasing a COBRA policy. COBRA refers to the Consolidation Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, which requires an employer to offer the same coverage you have had for a specified time if you pay the premium. The premium may be higher than you have paid because the employer generally is no longer required to pay a portion. If the premium is financially burdensome, you may consider purchasing an independent policy from a private company. Depending on the coverage you desire, you may be able to pay a smaller premium for a smaller policy. If you are confident that you will begin another job soon, a COBRA policy may provide the bridge you need until your new employer based coverage begins.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: More Americans Are Uninsured Now Than in 2016
In the past year, the percentage of American adults without health insurance increased 1.3 percent—which is equivalent to approximately 3.2 million Am...
Who pays for my travel expenses if I am a living organ donor?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
The donor's medical expenses, including the costs of evaluation and hospitalization, are covered by ...
Who should consider travel insurance?
Consider travel health insurance if you're traveling outside the United States, because your regular...
What Do You Think About Fee for Service Healthcare?