What do I do if my health insurance is employer-based and I lose my job?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you are losing your employer-based health insurance coverage you have several options. The first option to consider is purchasing a COBRA policy. COBRA refers to the Consolidation Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, which requires an employer to offer the same coverage you have had for a specified time if you pay the premium. The premium may be higher than you have paid because the employer generally is no longer required to pay a portion. If the premium is financially burdensome, you may consider purchasing an independent policy from a private company. Depending on the coverage you desire, you may be able to pay a smaller premium for a smaller policy. If you are confident that you will begin another job soon, a COBRA policy may provide the bridge you need until your new employer based coverage begins.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act
6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act6 Must-Know Facts about the Affordable Care Act
Get the facts on the Affordable Care Act and what it means for you. Still confused about the Affordable Care Act (ACA)? You're not alone. Now that the...
In What Ways Do You Think the American Healthcare System is Broken?
How Important Is the Patient-Doctor Relationship?
Who Do You Politiically Align Your Company With?