What can I do if my child lost employer-sponsored health coverage?

First, if it has been less than 63 days since your child lost employer-sponsored coverage and you are insured through a company employing more than 20 people, your child should be eligible for Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) coverage. COBRA permits some employees and their dependents, in some circumstances, to continue on an employer's group health plan even after coverage would otherwise end.

Second, if you worked for an employer with less than 20 employees your child may be eligible for state continuation coverage. State continuation coverage refers to a right, enacted in 41 states, for some employees and/or their dependents that have lost job-based health insurance to continue existing group health insurance.

Third, in many states, your child has a right, when leaving a fully insured group health plan, to convert their coverage to an individual policy. This is called conversion coverage. To qualify for a conversion policy in most states, your child must have had a certain amount of time during which they were covered under a group policy such as a parent's job-based coverage or COBRA. Contact the office of your state insurance commissioner for more information.

Fourth, no matter how long it has been since your child lost health insurance coverage, they may be eligible for a guaranteed-issue individual policy. Health insurance companies in some states require policies to be offered to all people, regardless of their health status. To find out if your state has guaranteed-issue policies, please contact the office of your state insurance commissioner.

Finally, your state may have a high-risk pool that your child can purchase an individual policy through.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
Will choosing a doctor within my insurer's network save me money?
Choosing a doctor within your insurer's network usually will cost you less money than choosing a doc...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?