What is a pre-existing condition in relation to health insurance?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A preexisting condition is any physical or mental condition that you may be diagnosed with prior to obtaining health insurance from a specific insurance provider. Some examples of preexisting conditions are pregnancy, diabetes, depression, and fibromyalgia. Most companies will provide coverage to someone with a preexisting condition at a higher rate. If your insurance is provided through your employer in a large group plan, a preexisting condition should not affect your coverage. If you need to change your coverage, you may be able to purchase a COBRA policy. COBRA stands for the Consolidation Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, which gives you the right to continue coverage for a limited time when you lose a job or experience a reduction of hours leading to loss of coverage.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is health insurance?
Health insurance is a formal agreement to provide and/or pay for medical care. The health insurance ...
What happens to the health reimbursement account (HRA) if I leave my job?
Your health reimbursement account (HRA) is established, funded and controlled by your employer and H...
How can I find out the amount of my co-pay?
Your co-pay amount should be listed in your insurance plan documents or even on your insurance ID ca...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?