What are my rights as a patient?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Many healthcare providers have policies that include a set of patient's rights that all healthcare providers under their jurisdiction are expected to respect. If you have Medicaid or Medicare coverage, you're also protected by a patient's bill of rights. Most of these bills of rights give patients the following rights:
  • Access to information
  • Privacy
  • Being treated with respect and dignity without prejudice or discrimination
  • Choosing a healthcare provider
  • Giving or withholding consent to care
Get to know the details of your rights and responsibilities related to your own healthcare provider by reading the patient guide that comes from your insurer; contact your insurer's customer service representative if you have any questions. If you're uninsured, ask your provider for a written document outlining your rights, and where and how you can get your questions answered. You cannot advocate for yourself without having the information you need, so knowing your rights is crucial.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
Do over-the-counter medicines count as out-of-pocket expenses?
The answer is no – and yes. Out-of-pocket expenses are medical costs that are not covered by your in...
What do I do if my health insurance claim for cancer treatment is denied?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If an insurance claim that has been submitted to the insurer to cover medical expenses is denied, co...
How Does the Healthcare System Cope with More People Being Added?