What are Medigap policies?

Medigap policies are supplemental insurance policies sold by private insurers to help beneficiaries pay the coinsurance, copays, and deductibles associated with Medicare Parts A & B. Some Medigap policies also cover additional services, such as emergency medical care while traveling overseas, or prescription drugs. People who choose to buy Medigap policies must pay a monthly premium to the private insurance company that sold them the policy.

Medigap policies are standardized. The federal government has established 12 different types of plans, labeled A through L. Private insurers in every state except Massachusetts, Minnesota, or Wisconsin can sell any, all, or none of these standardized Medigap policies.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
What is term life insurance?
Maria Ferrante-SchepisMaria Ferrante-Schepis
As the name suggests, term life insurance is meant to be held for a specific period of time (the “te...
How can I keep records of my out-of-pocket expenses?
Keeping records of your out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses is important if you want to includ...
How Is Your Insurance Company Model Different?