What are the different ways to pay for long term care?

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine
Until recently when President Obama signed the Health Care reform into law, there was “no political right in America for people to have decent housing, or health care due to the fact that Americans strongly uphold the concept of individualism." The health care reform bill has made it their right as American citizens to have proper health-care with trained medical professionals. The CLASS Act which is part of the health care overhaul will allow for individuals with LTC needs to receive the care that they need without having to "spend down". Essentially, health care reform is extremely beneficial for those looking to participate in long term care as it can help them pay for expenses not covered by long-term care insurance, health care, Medicare and Medicaid.
Shelley Webb
Nursing

There are basically 4 ways to pay for long term care:

• Private funds,
  • Insurances such as Medicare, Supplemental Policies, or Long Term Care Policies
  • Veteran's Administration Funds
  • Medicaid.

Additionally, there are a number of strategies that can be used to qualify a patient without using up all the family financial resources. Getting the advice of an eldercare attorney will help to protect your loved one and family from financial ruin.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
What happens to my health savings account (HSA) if I switch jobs?
You are the owner of your HSA, which means you can take it with you when you leave your current job....
How secure are my online personal health records?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
Some websites offer a place to store your health records online. These are often called "personal he...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?