How do I read an insurance claims loss statement?

Before you try to start decoding your insurance claims loss statement, it is important to understand two things: 1) what your plan actually covers and 2) what codes your insurance company uses for billing. Once you have that sorted out, the easiest way to read the statement is to go over it line by line with a customer service representative. You may feel like you’re back in school, but it is important to take notes during your review. You can also ask what your options are for appealing the decision, if necessary. After your conversation with the customer service representative, obtain a copy of the records from your medical visits to compare with your loss statement. You want to make sure that all of the information is accurate and consistent.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Take Advantage of Your ACA Preventive Care Benefits
We’ve quoted Ben Franklin before, but his words are still as true as ever: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And taking advantage of ...
What are my rights as a patient?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Many healthcare providers have policies that include a set of patient's rights that all healthcare p...
Why did I get a bill from a medical facility if I have health insurance?
Having health insurance does not mean you will never receive a bill from a medical facility. There c...
What Do You Think About Preventative Care?