Should I buy dental insurance for my toddler?

The American Dental Association recommends that your child’s first visit to the dentist happen around age one. By age two or three, the pediatric dentist (a dentist who specializes in seeing children) may recommend a check-up and cleaning every six months (sound familiar? You could schedule your visits for the same day!). So depending on how much these visits will cost out of pocket, it may be helpful to add your toddler to your dental benefits plan.

If you’re concerned about how to afford this kind of insurance for your toddler, be aware that there may be financial help available to you. For example, CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) is a state-run program that offers medical and dental coverage to children up to age 19 who do not have health insurance. While not all states offer dental care under CHIP, many do, so call your local office to find out what exactly is covered.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What Do You Think About Preventative Care?
Why Do You Call Yourselves a Health Solutions Company?
Who Do You Politiically Align Your Company With?
What Do You Think About Fee for Service Healthcare?