No, prescriptions are not covered under all private health plans, especially managed care plans. Managed care plans offer a formulary or a list of the drugs they cover. Your copay depends on whether you get a generic drug or brand name drug and whether it’s listed on the formulary. Check the plan before buying to see the extent of drug coverage and make sure it covers the prescriptions you currently take.
- Q What other resources exist to help me shop for private health insurance?
- Q Do private health plans vary from state to state?
- Q How can I control the cost of private health insurance?
- Q How do I choose the right health insurance if I'm a senior?
- Q What are factors to consider with a high deductible health plan (HDHP)?
- Q How do I shop for private health insurance?