Why are premium rates different?

With insurance, as with anything in life, you get what you pay for. Insurance premium rates differ depending on how much freedom you want, the type of insurance plan you have, and the benefits offered by that plan.

You pay more for more freedom in providers (doctors, hospitals etc.), more coverage, and more benefits, which is why HMOs have lower premiums than indemnity plans (fee-for-service) plans.

An indemnity plan is the equivalent to getting your full allowance and being dropped off at Dylan’s Candy Bar to choose whatever you want. An HMO, on the other hand, is as if your brother or sister went into Dylan’s for you and came out with a Tootsie Roll, a Dum Dum, and a jawbreaker and you could only choose from those options no matter how badly you were craving a peanut M&M.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

7 Questions to Ask About Health Insurance Before Taking a Job
Congratulations on the job offer! Once salary negotiations have ended and you’re almost ready to sign on the dotted line, it will be time to delve int...
How do I get reimbursed under my health reimbursement account (HRA)?
Receiving funds from your health reimbursement account (HRA) may be done in one of a few different w...
How secure are my online personal health records?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
Some websites offer a place to store your health records online. These are often called "personal he...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?