What does out-of-pocket expenses mean in healthcare coverage?

Out-of-pocket costs are those health-care expenses you pay that are not reimbursed by your health insurance company. Some common out-of-pocket costs include your deductible, co-pay, and co-insurance.  Your health plan will "cap" your out-of-pocket expenses, which means that once you reach the maximum out-of-pocket costs for your plan, your health plan takes over and provides coverage. Generally speaking, your out-of-pocket expenses are applied toward your deductible.

Managing your deductible:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/managing-your-deductible

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
What is an HSA and Should You Have One?
When preparing for the future, many people automatically think about covering the basics, such as food and housing, and maybe travel plans or other pl...
What happens to the health reimbursement account (HRA) if I leave my job?
Your health reimbursement account (HRA) is established, funded and controlled by your employer and H...
Why are centralized healthcare models beneficial?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
Centralized health care models have been shown to be beneficial. The centralized, coordinated, prima...
How Do You Get Consumers to Engage in Their Health?