What does out-of-pocket expenses mean in healthcare coverage?

Out-of-pocket costs are those health-care expenses you pay that are not reimbursed by your health insurance company. Some common out-of-pocket costs include your deductible, co-pay, and co-insurance.  Your health plan will "cap" your out-of-pocket expenses, which means that once you reach the maximum out-of-pocket costs for your plan, your health plan takes over and provides coverage. Generally speaking, your out-of-pocket expenses are applied toward your deductible.

Managing your deductible:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/managing-your-deductible

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
How secure are my online personal health records?
SharecareSharecare
Your online personal health records (PHR) are as secure as you make them. You decide who can see you...
How can I find a surgeon who participates in my insurance?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
You can find a surgeon on your insurance by requesting a list of physicians either through a handboo...
In What Ways Do You Think the American Healthcare System is Broken?