What other home care options are available besides Medicare and Medicaid?

Department of Veterans Affairs
Different types of services are available in different areas of the United States. Most Veterans Affairs (VA) regions pay for skilled home care and hospice, although the VA may not directly provide these services. The veteran must be referred by a VA doctor and meet medical requirements to qualify for skilled home care or hospice. The Social Services department of your closest VA medical facility should be able to answer questions about eligibility in your area.
Older Americans Act (OAA)
The OAA provides federal funds for state and local social service programs that help frail and disabled older people to stay independent in their communities. This funding covers home care aides, personal care, household chores, escort, meal delivery, and shopping services for those age 60 and older with the greatest social and financial need. These services are often provided through a local area Agency on Aging. The OAA was reauthorized by Congress from 2006 through 2010. To find your local Agency on Aging, you can contact the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
Social Services Block Grant Programs
Each year states get social services grants from the federal government. Part of the money is usually used for programs that offer home care aides and homemaker services. Patients can contact their state health departments or local area Agency on Aging to learn more .
Community organizations
Some community groups, along with state and local governments, help pay for home health and personal care. Depending on a person's eligibility and financial need, these groups may pay for all or part of services. Hospital discharge planners, social workers, local offices on aging, the United Way, and your American Cancer Society are excellent sources for information about what's offered in your area.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
How are my personal health records (PHRs) protected by HIPAA?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
Some websites offer a place to store your health records online. These are often called personal hea...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
What Do You Think About Fee for Service Healthcare?