Do I need a medical exam to get disease specific insurance?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Although there are sometimes minimum and maximum restrictions on disease specific insurance policies, no medical exam is required for most supplemental insurance policies. The provider gives a cash settlement to anyone who is diagnosed with a specific disease for which they have purchased insurance. Be certain that you understand the details of your policy before purchasing as some providers may have very specific coverage and benefits requirements.

You may need to give a medical history, have a medical exam, or even provide test results to get disease-specific insurance. That’s because disease-specific insurance typically is only provided in very specific situations with very narrowly defined conditions. Some call these legal robbery policies, because the restrictions are often so encompassing that you are more likely to be hit by lightening twice in a day than benefit from one.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
Why did I get a bill from a medical facility if I have health insurance?
Having health insurance does not mean you will never receive a bill from a medical facility. There c...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?