Is Medigap a disease-specific insurance?

Medigap is not a disease-specific insurance. Medigap is a private insurance policy that provides supplemental coverage to your Original Medicare coverage. Typically, a Medigap policy will cover the costs of procedures, doctors’ visits, etc. that Medicare doesn’t. Some even provide coverage when you are traveling outside the United States.

For more information about Medigap policies, contact a private insurance company that sells them. You can call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227 for a list of companies.

Medigap is not a disease specific insurance but it is a supplemental insurance. Medigap a term used to describe the 12 possible policies offered by private companies to cover medical expenses not covered through the typical Medicare plans. The Medigap policies are identified as Medigap Plans A through L and are regulated by state and federal laws designed to protect you. Each private company gets to choose which Medigap policies to offer so it is important to research the options before purchasing a policy.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
How Can I Use My HSA Funds?
If you are currently enrolled in an eligible high-deductible health insurance plan, contributing money to a health savings account (HSA) is a great wa...
What are the different ways to pay for long term care?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Until recently when President Obama signed the Health Care reform into law, there was “no political...
When will health insurance start paying my medical bills?
After your enrollment, your health insurance will start paying some of your medical expenses right a...
What Does Florida Blue Do That Is Different from Traditional Insurance Companies?