Is financial assistance available?

Low-income Medicare recipients may be eligible for financial help or lower-cost programs. Anyone who receives Medicaid-a program that provides coverage to low-income Americans-can receive assistance with Medicare premiums.

On the prescription drug plan, the "Extra Help" provision allows seniors who receive Medicaid to get drug coverage with no monthly premium or annual deductible, and a small co-pay on drug costs up to $3,600. Medicare covers all drug costs above $3,600. Lower-income Medicare users who do not receive Medicaid can get assistance via lower premiums and deductibles. Similar programs are available to help pay the costs of Part B, too.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
Who controls the funds in a health reimbursement account (HRA)?
Your employer controls the funds in your health reimbursement account (HRA) in a number of ways. ...
What should I know about my health insurance before going to the ER?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Once an emergency brings you to the ER, the details of your insurance coverage will be secondary...
How Does an Insurance Company Feel About the Affordable Care Act?