If I'm at risk for breast cancer, will insurance cover genetic counseling?

Shelly Weiss
Clinical Genetics
For the most part, insurance does cover genetic counseling. For the consultation, if there is a personal or family history of cancer, a consultation is often covered at an 80% or greater level. It typically falls under the same umbrella as a specialist physician visit. Genetic testing is a separate entity from counseling. Many providers have specific criteria as to who will be offered coverage (based on personal and family history). A genetic counselor alongside the laboratory can assist the patient in learning more about their level of coverage prior to the initiation of testing.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Take Advantage of Your ACA Preventive Care Benefits
We’ve quoted Ben Franklin before, but his words are still as true as ever: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And taking advantage of ...
What are my rights as a patient?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Many healthcare providers have policies that include a set of patient's rights that all healthcare p...
How can I control who gets information about my health care?
SharecareSharecare
By federal law, your medical information is kept private with certain exceptions. Your information m...
How Do You Get Consumers to Engage in Their Health?