If I'm at risk for breast cancer, will insurance cover genetic counseling?

Shelly Weiss
Clinical Genetics
For the most part, insurance does cover genetic counseling. For the consultation, if there is a personal or family history of cancer, a consultation is often covered at an 80% or greater level. It typically falls under the same umbrella as a specialist physician visit. Genetic testing is a separate entity from counseling. Many providers have specific criteria as to who will be offered coverage (based on personal and family history). A genetic counselor alongside the laboratory can assist the patient in learning more about their level of coverage prior to the initiation of testing.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
Will my insurance cover VELscope test?
It depends. (just like almost every other question about insurance coverage). The VELscope test is a...
Who can collect Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a needs-based program. You must prove your income and assets a...
What Do You Think About Preventative Care?