How do I know what health coverage to buy?

Think about your needs and ask:
Do you want a plan that covers preventive care like annual check-ups? Most fee-for-service plans don't cover these visits, but managed care plans do. This aspect is particularly important if you have or are planning to have children.

How healthy are you? If you need a low premium and are healthy, consider a high-deductible plan. Understand, though, that accidents happen, and a single hospital stay could wipe out your savings and plunge you into debt. Think about how much money you'd be able to apply to medical expenses if necessary.

Do you have a specific doctor or hospital in mind? Managed care plans use networks of doctors, and if your doctor isn't in that network you'll pay some or all of the bills if you see him or her. If specific providers are necessary, consider a fee-for-service plan.

How important is easy access to specialists? Many managed care plans require a referral from a primary care physician before you see a specialist. If they don't feel it's necessary, you'll pay for the visit out-of-pocket.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
When will health insurance start paying my medical bills?
After your enrollment, your health insurance will start paying some of your medical expenses right a...
What are out-of-pocket expenses?
Out-of-pocket expenses are the costs of your health care you have to pay yourself. Your insurance do...
How do I select a primary care doctor?
Lone Peak HospitalLone Peak Hospital
When choosing a primary care doctor there are a few things you should consider. First, make sure tha...