How do I choose the right health insurance if I'm a senior?

Pick a lottery number.  You are kidding -- we’ve tried to do so and feel totally incompetent and we’ve done so with experts at our side. So if you’re a senior, you can try to choose the right health insurance by reading up on the various options and deciding which one meets your needs. Give yourself a few months (yes, it is that difficult) to evaluate plans and insurance companies to determine what they offer and for how much. Get quotes and compare rates. You want to do as much research as possible to figure out what plan covers the services you need at the most affordable price. Use resources such as the Association for Retired Persons (AARP), the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).

If you are interested in Medicare, you can also contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). They provide free education and counseling about Medicare services and programs. Hopefully they will be better at it than I am.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
How to Fight an Insurance Claim Denial
Hepatitis C (often abbreviated as hep C) is a chronic viral infection that causes inflammation in the liver. Though it often presents with no noticeab...
How can I control who gets information about my health care?
SharecareSharecare
By federal law, your medical information is kept private with certain exceptions. Your information m...
Does insurance cover hospice care?
Coverage may be available through Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance, and some hospices ma...
How Does an Insurance Company Feel About the Affordable Care Act?