How do I choose the right health insurance if I'm a senior?

Pick a lottery number.  You are kidding -- we’ve tried to do so and feel totally incompetent and we’ve done so with experts at our side. So if you’re a senior, you can try to choose the right health insurance by reading up on the various options and deciding which one meets your needs. Give yourself a few months (yes, it is that difficult) to evaluate plans and insurance companies to determine what they offer and for how much. Get quotes and compare rates. You want to do as much research as possible to figure out what plan covers the services you need at the most affordable price. Use resources such as the Association for Retired Persons (AARP), the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).

If you are interested in Medicare, you can also contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP). They provide free education and counseling about Medicare services and programs. Hopefully they will be better at it than I am.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

Take Advantage of Your ACA Preventive Care Benefits
We’ve quoted Ben Franklin before, but his words are still as true as ever: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” And taking advantage of ...
Will I be told if unauthorized people see my health information?
Office of the National Coordinator for Health ITOffice of the National Coordinator for Health IT
The HIPAA Breach Notification Rule requires most doctors, hospitals, other health care providers and...
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
How to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at WorkHow to Choose a Health Insurance Plan at Work
Ask these five questions to save money and ensure you and your family get the right care. You were offered a new job and you’ve accepted the position—...
How Important Is the Patient-Doctor Relationship?