How secure are my online personal health records?

Some websites offer a place to store your health records online. These are often called "personal health records." Some personal health records are offered by health care providers and health plans and are covered by the HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification Rules. Other personal health records (PHRs) are offered by stand-alone companies and are not covered by HIPAA. Some PHR companies display a model privacy policy notice, which is like a nutrition facts label, that outlines their privacy practices.  The companies that display this notice must follow the Federal Trade Commission's Health Breach Notification Rule and notify you if there is a breach of your information.

Your online personal health records (PHR) are as secure as you make them. You decide who can see your records by creating permissions and secure passwords for your records.

Another key way to safeguard your PHR has to do with where you store it. First and foremost, make sure that the web site maintaining your records is a secure one. If you use a PHR from your health plan or health care provider, they must tell you how they keep your information safe and private.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

News: US Uninsured Rate Climbs Above 12%
According to recent research by Gallup and Sharecare, the percentage of US adults without health insurance increased to 12.3 percent during the third ...
What should I know about my health insurance before going to the ER?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Once an emergency brings you to the ER, the details of your insurance coverage will be secondary...
Will my insurance cover VELscope test?
It depends. (just like almost every other question about insurance coverage). The VELscope test is a...
Health Insurance: Using Data to Improve Health Outcomes