How long can I keep my child on my health insurance policy?

In the past, young adults frequently were forced off their parents’ policies once they reached 18 or 21 or graduated from college. Now they can stay on or be added to your family policy even if they have left home or are no longer a student. 

If you currently include your children on your health insurance, the Affordable Care Act allows you to keep them on your family policy until they reach age 26. This means you can make sure they have health insurance even if they no longer live with you, are married, or are no longer in school. You do not have to claim them as a dependent on your tax return. You will not be able to include their spouse or their children on your policy.

Continue Learning about Health Insurance

How to Make Sense of Your Health Insurance Coverage
It happened again—another mysterious medical bill has arrived for treatment you thought was covered under your health insurance policy. Before the fru...
What is the most I am at risk to pay for healthcare per year?
Insurance plans typically carry an out-of-pocket maximum or limit, which is the most you would have ...
Where do most Americans get their health insurance?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
With the Affordable Care Act  (Obamacare) in place, there are three major ways for people to secure ...
Health Insurance: Using Data to Improve Health Outcomes